Saturday, March 1, 2014

Becoming A Dad-Pt 2: Take A Good Long Look At Yourself

I remember waking up the next day feeling different. I wouldn't describe the feeling as better or worse than any other day, I just remember having this sense that my life from this day forward would be forever different even if I didn't know how. I tried to go about my normal routine, but I started to find myself questioning everything I was doing as part of this routine and framing it in a larger light.

To be quite honest, this feeling was fairly new to me. Looking back it is difficult to examine myself before receiving the news, because I now feel like a completely different person. My entire thought process throughout most of my life, until that point, had been very me driven. If I'm also being totally honest with myself, I think looking back on the first few days after finding out; I struggled with feeling a sense of loss. For a few days I coped with the loss of being able to think selfishly all the time, but these feelings immediately faded and I have yet to look back.

My initial reaction to all of this—like anyone's, I would imagine, was fear. I thought, “Up until this point I have been able to pretty much do what I want, run my life how I want and make decisions that only effect me.” When I began to look around at my surroundings, and my life in general, I found that while I had been able to lead my life however I chose—I was completely miserable almost all the time.

I have always been a person that cares a great deal about others. I think a large part of the reason why I was so ok with living a selfish existence prior to the big news was because my care for others never truly translated into caring about myself, and I was horribly unhappy everyday for a long time because of it.

I can remember having the same conversation many times with my girlfriend where she would ask me "Why don't you care about yourself?" and honestly I was never be able to provide her an answer, but I always knew it was true. The simplest explanation I have for this is that I guess college, and life in general kind of turned me into a nihilist at some point. I was raised Catholic and now consider myself an Atheist and I think the combination of guilt and not believing in any form an afterlife whatsoever kind of morphed itself into a weird personal philosophy that involved treating anyone else with the utmost respect, but not giving a damn about myself. I remember feeling like I existed simply because I woke up that day and other than that I felt no general purpose.

I am so glad that my life has changed. Now I wouldn't take back a single second of anything for the world. I have never felt this way before—In fact my girlfriend and I had the discussion about kids very early on. I mentioned—much to her dismay—that my feelings were very strongly against procreation and that I never foresaw that changing for anything or anyone.

Going back to personal philosophies, I tend to have a lot of principles that I try to uphold for myself, that ultimately I don't believe are applicable to society as a larger whole. For example, I’d say on a personal level that I am very pro life, but being a man I feel like I have no right whatsoever to tell a woman what she should and should not do with her body. Although I am politically pro-choice, I also don't feel that abortion should be taken lightly, by any means and since I am not a drug addict, in dire poverty, in an abusive relationship, etc. I feel that in my personal circumstances abortion for any reason would be unjustified. I had also developed a thought early on that made me believe that I could never go through with that process personally.

This baby was conceived despite birth control that is supposed to be 99.9% effective, that to me means that he or she really really wants to be a part of this world, and I for one, cannot wait for their arrival very soon.


Back on topic, in Part 3 I will go more in depth into why I was so anti-child before this whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment